Friday, September 29, 2017

San Diego Quilt Show Class

Yesterday, I had the wonderful pleasure of taking a class at the San Diego Quilt Show with Wendy Mathson, and I loved it!  She created a method for Storm at Sea Quilts, and some of her quilts are truly inspiring.  I loved being able to see some of her quilts up close and personal, and I loved her class!  I prepared all week for her class (thanks to procrastination)!  Then I realized, late night on Wednesday, that I had cut some of the pieces wrong, luckily I only had to trim down some pieces to correct my mistake.

At the class we got to use her new templates, which I really enjoyed using, and were pretty simple once instructions were given.  With a full day of class I ended up with the pieces for the center of my quilt finished!  It is similar to the cover quilt on her book "A New Light On Storm at Sea."


How she taught us was well structured, and you could tell she loves what she is doing.  She listened and helped, and was so personable to just sit and talk to.  Plenty of time was given between steps to work, and it was a wonderful experience.  She is more than happy to help outside the class too, and loves to see finished work from students and the designs you create as it inspires her.  I highly recommend her as a teacher.

I am truly amazed that I got that much done and I had so much fun.  My Mom and I took the class together, and even though she did not get as much done as I did, I know she enjoyed it.  Here is a picture of hers coming together too, on our makeshift design wall.


Other people's fabric choices were inspirational, and I got to see a scrappy teal/blue/green quilt in person.  This is one I will be doing for my husband and I at a later date.  Some of the fabrics have been starched, and some are currently on the drying rack.  I'm a little sad, I forgot to take pictures of everyone else's creations!

We did not have enough time to check out the exhibit for the quilt show, so we will be heading back tomorrow to check it out.  If you are in the San Diego/Southern California area come support the San Diego Quilt Show.  It runs until Saturday afternoon at the San Diego Convention Center.  I can not wait to see the inspiration within the show too!

Sharing at:
Busy Hand Quilts
Thank Goodness It's Finish Friday
Crazy Mom Quilts
Confessions of a Fabric Addict

-Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, I love to read them and hear from you.