Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Goodies From the San Diego Quilt Show

This past weekend I was able to attend the San Diego Quilt Show.  I took a class on Thursday and then on Saturday my Mom and I got to walk around the show and of course look at the variety of items being sold by various vendors in the industry.  I found some fabric for in colors (purple, yellow and orange) that I am lacking variety in for my stash, and I found something that I am really excited about.

First stop was Sew Hut.  I was able to find a few fat quarters in each of the colors that I needed.  They were folded so nicely.


Second stop was Quilt in a Day.  Who can pass up $6.00 a yard?  If you finish the bolt, then it drops to $5.50 a yard.  They had no oranges, but I was able to find some great purples and yellows.  I love the pink/purple selection.


Third stop was Elkhorn Quilt Company from Mesa, Az.  They had some great modern fabrics, and some awesome bundles.  I was able to find an orange fat quarter bundle that I grabbed quickly because it is exactly what I needed to enhance the stash.


My fourth and final stop, and the one that has me still excited about what I got (that means it is pretty big).  I found a thimbles place and it is Thimbles by TJ Lane.  She had exactly what I was looking for (a shield is what she is naming it), was so nice and friendly (her husband was awesome too), and was able to get my exact size so it fits perfect on my finger.  I love that she backs her work 100%, they are gorgeous, the pictures are great but to be able to see, and touch them made me even more in awe of her work.  My shield had to be made a little smaller to fit exactly where I want it on my finger, so she took it home and was going to solder it and send it back to me, of course after we got the perfect fit.  I should have it by the end of the week.  I recommend her products, and Bonnie Hunter also highly recommends her thimbles too.


Due to a lot of stash enhancements that have been going on behind the scenes (I'm sorry, my LQS has their staff stash sale at the same time as the quilt show so I stopped there twice to browse, and of course found many things that needed to come home with me, and finding kits online, and buying scraps online, and buying but not completing), my stash is taking over the apartment (literally).  As a result, I am going on a craft supplies diet.  I have written up the terms and conditions that my husband has agreed too, and the biggest thing is if I break my diet rules, I have to extend it another month for each offense, and remove the same amount of yardage I bought from my stash.

There are of course a few exceptions which include if I need something to finish a project I'm working on, the Breakfast Club kit for next semester, and fabric for a baby quilt that I need to make, but currently awaiting further information from the Mom-to-be.  This diet includes all craft supplies, so no more yarn, cross stitch kits, fabric, quilt kits or beads.  I'm hopeful that I will make it through and come out unscathed.  It will just encourage me to work on some projects and finish them, and if I need additional supplies to finish said project I will be able to shop to get my fix but I will still have a purpose for what I'm buying, and nothing else can pop in my basket at the same time.  Wish me luck, it started October 1 and goes through to the end of the year, December 31.  My husband already tempted me, but I held my ground and said no, he could not figure out why, then I explained that I did not need anything, and realized what he had done LOL!

Come back later to check out my Finish-a-Long goals, and the quilts I saw and took pictures of at the San Diego Quilt Show.

Sharing at Bee Social with Sew Fresh Quilts.  Let us see what everyone is working on.

-Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, I love to read them and hear from you.